View Single Post
Old 10-22-2022, 12:23 PM   #40
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnmtm1 View Post
My wife and I are new to TM'ing and this forum. And yes, we have a roof leak.

We purchased our '03 3023 last year and took it out just 3 times before storing it in the garage for the winter. Each time out, we had measurable precipitation but no leaks during the first two trips. However, on the third trip out we were in a real downpour for over 2 hours and observed a steady stream (.25" wide) of water coming down the right side rear shell where the wall and roof meet. The water comes down and pools slightly just behind the stove and then drips down to the floor by the door. The leak would seem to be right where the front shell and rear shell overlap.

I did a quick inspection and did not see any gaps or obvious missing caulk before I put the TM away for the season, so I plan to do a careful check when I de-winterize, hopefully in March.
You'd be surprised how much water can leak even when there are no visible gaps. My preference is to use ProflexRV. It remains soft and doesn't have to be completely removed like silicone seal.

My technique is more involved, but seems to be guaranteed to work:
1) Remove vents/AC units.
2) Apply ProflexRV between where the vent or AC will attach to the trailer. If there is a riser, you need to remove both the riser and vent and do the same for between the riser and roof, and between the riser and vent.
3) Place the riser and vent into position.
4) Apply ProflexRV to the threads of the screws if using screws
5) Fasten the vent or AC.

I had tried resealing around vents without removing them and they still leaked. After doing this, I had no leaks.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote