View Single Post
Old 09-11-2022, 02:20 PM   #8
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Also, some tips common for any trip with a TM:
  • use a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS)
  • pack a tool box with not only common tools, but also some extra screws, wire nuts, zip ties, a hold down latch (the white latches on the 4 corners), a flashlight (in the car), a tire gauge, electrical tape, etc.
  • if you plan on traveling to areas where you'll have spotty cell service, consider a satellite communicator device (like the Garmin inReach, which I have, and which I find very useful. A few hundred $ to buy, then $30/year + ~$15/mo for any month you might choose to turn service on.)
  • be sure your spare tire changing tools are not packed under a bunch of stuff. Unpleasant experience to have to unload your entire car in the rain and/or dark just to get to the jack.
  • do not underestimate how much time/energy you will expend in setting up and tearing down camp when traveling as you suggest (driving all day on a long trans-con trip, stopping just to spend the night). Between checking in/paying at camp, setting up, and cooking dinner, and then doing a similar routine in the morning, it's obviously more involved than just crashing at a hotel. I've driven cross-country with the TM numerous times, and find it challenging to drive more than 8-9 hours a day. And I have help with me. Six hours is more optimal. (In contrast, we have comfortably done 12 hrs/day with just a car and staying in a hotel for several straight days.)
  • Treat yourself to a nice camp enroute -- put in a few long days, and then if you can, spend a few nights in one place, and a place which you would really enjoy.
  • Pack yourself a lunch the night before. You might even be able to run a crock pot on the car's inverter, and cook dinner in the car as you go down the road. They do not typically take much power, and can often be powered off the cigarette lighter.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote