View Single Post
Old 04-28-2021, 09:39 AM   #20
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjplumley View Post
If not for my new camper, I would've never removed the trim or discovered two of the four 2X4's supporting the middle are completely gone due to termites! So, it's a good thing I'm digging into it and can make the repair.
See, the camper is saving you money already! Maybe now you should consider adding a boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePair View Post
Seriously, I miss a couple days checking the forums, and you're all up in my business!!
Haha!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjplumley View Post
I'm having trouble visualizing how the tracks would work. If they're mounted to the garage floor, for the tires to use them (assuming backing in), the back half of the TM would already be through the door opening (the hard part of backing it in is getting it perfectly squared up). Seems like they'd have to be mounted to the driveway to be of any use.

Pulling in tongue first (using a track for the tongue jack wheel) is out of the question, right now. It'd be too many steps to get it into the garage (pull in driveway, chock wheels, disconnect trailer, move tow vehicle out of the way, connect winch, pull into garage - Then do it all over again when we need it out). Sailors launching deep keel boats use a similar method, with straps or chains, to get the trailer deep enough to float the boat off. Too much work for me - I'd probably do it once and then call it off after that.

My dad suggested tracks also, so I know it's a viable solution, just trying to figure out how they'd be used.
Joe - So why not install tracks in the driveway? Not permanently, but drill a few holes in the driveway for some 1/2” bolts, and when you’re ready to pull the TM in or out of the garage, lay down the tracks on the driveway, and just drop the bolts through the track and into the cement/asphalt to hold them in place. Then after the TM has passed, simply pull the tracks up and put them in the garage. The only thing permanent is a few holes in the driveway, which could easily be filled if needed. Then mount additional track in the garage to meet up with the ones in the driveway.

I have 2 such holes in my driveway for long bolts that anchor a 6x6” timber that secures large wood chocks that keep my TM from rolling down my driveway into the street. It’s a belt and suspenders approach, but it works great.

Since your holes would be open most of the time, which is the opposite of my situation, you might consider plugging them with something pretty flat to keep dirt out (and ice from forming in the winter, if it gets that cold where you are).

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote