View Single Post
Old 04-28-2021, 08:30 AM   #19
jjplumley

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickst29 View Post
Knowing a bit about construction - I think that conversion of the two single doors into a "double" will not be viable, due to high cost for that reconstruction. The "middle" post was almost certainly built as one (or two) load-bearing posts for two short and separate header beams on each door.

If it was built that way, then the two header beams themselves would have to be replaced by a longer structure, at a high cost (due to complexities of supporting the load while the short beams are removed and replaced). I hope that width+trim changes can provide enough room for you to avoid the big conversion.
Garage door guy just left. You're exactly right on the construction! We talked of adding a structural beam across both doors, but there's not enough clearance. It would've cost a bundle anyhow with all the work to do it.

If not for my new camper, I would've never removed the trim or discovered two of the four 2X4's supporting the middle are completely gone due to termites! So, it's a good thing I'm digging into it and can make the repair.

-Joe
jjplumley is offline   Reply With Quote