View Single Post
Old 04-26-2021, 03:08 PM   #12
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjplumley View Post
Maybe use some wheel tracks and a powered winch.
There is another thread somewhere from an owner who installed steel tracks in the floor of his garage. I can't find it at the moment, perhaps someone else will. As you can imagine, he simply got a pair of long channel irons of the appropriate width and shallow depth, and bolted them to the garage floor. If I were doing it (and I have not done it), I would augment the setup with a pair of L-angle irons on each channel, maybe a foot or two long. Lay them on the floor at the entry end of the channels, but splay them apart to form an entrance funnel to guide the tires into the channels. Then bolt them down.

I always thought a powered winch would be a good solution to a lot of the problem. Most likely you also have a removable wheel for the tongue jack, one with a small hard-plastic wheel, like the one in the picture. If you bought a similar device, but one having two larger pneumatic tires and a steering rod projecting from the front, you might be pretty close to a solution. I know I have seen the dual wheel thing, but I'm having trouble bringing it up at the moment. I'll keep looking.

You have a very attractive garage door entrance. I can see why you would be reluctant to mess with it. You might consider narrowing the center pillar (much easier than removing it), and getting two specialty-width garage doors. This would gain a few precious inches while maintaining the basic appearance and the symmetry.

Bill
Attached Images

Bill is offline   Reply With Quote