View Single Post
Old 05-31-2009, 05:05 PM   #9
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyver210 View Post
I saw that & do understand what you are saying I am very surprised TM didn't use a heavier gage wire to compensate for this power drop. I know I used a heavy gage wire for the charge wire directly from the battery on my Rover which seems to help allot when towing.

WOW between upgrades for Cabinet glides, drawers, shower, power, LCD TV Mounts etc. I can't catch up LOL I may have them all done when time for a new TM LOL.

I may go put a meter on mine just to check since it is always setup anyway. If it is a 40' run with lighter wire it may need changed in future. You would think the factory could figure this out though.
The converter wasn't originally meant for charging and maintaining the batteries. They were meant to convert 110v AC to 12v DC, while camping with hook-ups. They are fine for that the way that they are.

You would need to use 2g wire (like the battery cables in the picture above) to keep the voltage loss to a minimum. That would be expensive, heavy and increase the risk of fire in the event of a short (although a fuse would resolve that).

In reality, a 20A converter would be quite adequate for a TM. If you do a lot of dry camping (like we do) the bigger converter helps charge the batteries faster but only if it is properly mounted to get it's full potential.