View Single Post
Old 05-21-2003, 03:36 PM   #5
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Default Re: Interior leak - Need help!

Quote:
Gregg,

I just fixed a leak in my front shell. I noticed it after I took off the cover, and it had been sitting there without a tarp over it. I took down the lens from the front right ceiling light, and it was half full of water. I emptied it and it kept doing it since we have had a lot of rain. I thought that it might be from the vent and following the wires to the light or from the strip on the roof.

I called the factory, and I talked to Donny. He said it was from the strip on the roof or the vent. He told me to buy a tube of 100% silicone that is used for the outdoors. I found some that was the top of the brand and used it in my caulking gun. I ran a strip along both sides of the strip on the roof and also between the vent and the beginning of the strip. There is about 2 inches where the strip does not cover it. The next day, I washed the trailer, and I had a dry ceiling light. I guess I was right about my problem.

Try doing what I did to the front shell. Also, if you have an awning, try caulking around the top of it where it attaches to the trailer. I had the same problem with our 1993 unit. The water was entering where the awning attached to the trailer.

The silicone that I bought was the clear kind so it looks a lot better. It' s not supposed to crack. Just find a top quality silicone to use.

Give it a try.

Bob Strong

How interesting, as I had stated earlier this week, I just picked mine up from the dealer after having a roof leak repaired...the guy told me that he had only seen this one other time where the seam seal failed...hmmmmmmm.
He did the same as Bob did, (Factory recommendation) with a bead on each side of the strip...I bought a tube of caulk and I will repeat the process on the rear half. I bought a tube of special "Marine grade silicone", at the local home improvement store...the regular GE Silicone II is $5.99 a tube, but this stuff is $12.99 a tube! I wanted this stuff mainly because I KNOW that it is made for use where the seam will flex, and it will hold up to some pretty harsh conditions.

Gregg, I suggest that you start by doing that on the front half seam and see it it doesn't stop your leak as well, the only other place could be at the edge seam between the roof and side wall, check all that caulk as well.

Good luck and let us know what works!

Larry
Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote