View Single Post
Old 02-04-2014, 07:10 PM   #9
lov2camp

Thanks everyone for kind feedback. My fabrication skills are pretty good - boats, automobiles, ect...restored from junk to new. Try fixing 50 year old rust buckets! My idea was from other forums who experience this issue in similar applications.

For example Coleman did this exact thing and had a kit to address this exact problem."When we had our 99 Coleman Nevada it had a sagging roof also. Unfortunately there was a design flaw in the roof material of a few years of these pop ups. Coleman/Fleetwood came up with this "center beam" that was fastened to the inside ceiling of the camper to aid in supporting the roof." - so this isn't such a radical idea.

Mine would be much better execution than Coleman. Since the roof is solid and testing with very slight inner pressure with a 2 x 4 board makes it perfect I am sure sandwiching a beam would make it stronger than stock and could be made to look factory. Since this is not on the front roof - AC, lights, fans ect are not in the way. You really don't need to span the whole roof but if I decide to do this I would to spread the small load it would take across the entire roof then mount it evenly. It would be the strongest part of the entire roof.