View Single Post
Old 05-10-2015, 02:19 PM   #1
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Default Air Conditioner Fan Delay

I am trying a number of thing to get the AC to come on reliably on my generators. Frankly the Honda is surprising me with its momentary surge capability of 40A which is waaay over spec.

Still the Pred's 35A should be enough and continuous is a lot higher.

Have already expanded the junction box below the fridge area to provide an isolation switch and a plug. This provides a street side 120VAC outlet and when isolated I can use a #10 male-male jumper to connect the generator output directly to the AC without going through the controller or connecting to anything else.

The second stage is to modify the AC air handler incorporating a three second delay on the LO fan line that also turns the fan off if the AC compressor turns off (thermocycles). It also has an enable/disable since do not need if on shore power and must come on with heat. Could have used more relays but a SPST switch was easier.

The idea is to have all of the 120VAC power going to the AirCon and by putting the delay on the fan directs the total generator output to the compressor for startup.

Once installed and tested I'll determing if the Hard Start capacitor is needed. I have both a SPP6 and a SPP6E.

BTW if my calculations are correct, the compressor is a touch over 1/2 hp.

The schematic is below. Does anyone see a problem here ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	isolationclosed.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	11527   Click image for larger version

Name:	isolationopen.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	11528   Click image for larger version

Name:	delayschem.jpg
Views:	113