View Single Post
Old 07-22-2008, 01:32 PM   #16
Sync-n-Sub
Site Sponsor

Sync-n-Sub says thanks to all for their inputs to the V6-V8 quandary. We drove the V6's of the 2008 4 Runner, 2009 Pilot, 2008 base and sport Highlanders. While all were excellent choices, we narrowed it down to the Highlander Sport, well sorta. It had some neat goodies like beefier suspension, backup camera for hitching, and a rear hatch that opened. Well, that was at first until I got on the thread of hitches and 19 inch tires. I got spooked at the 19 inch tire saga on the Sport and did a bit of research of. if needed, how far replacement tires were away. I found absolutely none in the Tri-Cities area of TN, with most saying they could order a Bridgestone with ETAs from 2 days to two weeks. And Toyos ($440 each) equally possible. And not wanting to become a resident of Moose Jaw, WY, while I possibly needed a new tire, I (well, Sync and I) opted for the Base version of the Highlander with the very popular 17 inch tires. We did a short maiden voyage with the TM 2720SL attached and I believe we will be well served with the Toyota base Highlander. While on the subject of hitches, I found that the Hidden Hitch(87452) and Drawtite(75586) (same hitch) were weight distribution rated, the Curt(13534) and the Toyota factory installed were not, and the Valley 81312 (also same as UHaul 78266) was possibly, depending who you talked to (but the stick-on tag just identifies 500 lbs and 5000 lbs with no WDH listed). A web site review of the Valley applications guide shows the Valley as 5 for capacity and 6 for WD ( I presume the 5=5000 and the 6 to be 6000 lbs), a follow up phone call to Valley, the girl says that the Valley 81312 was not WDH rated. So I bought the Drawtite, installed it and it works great. Thanks all, Sub
Sync-n-Sub is offline   Reply With Quote