View Single Post
Old 07-18-2008, 05:22 PM   #14
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Talking I'm the person you wanted to ask.... get the V6.

Because I've done extensive towing with BOTH the current "Gen-4" V8 4Runner and the V6 4Runner.

Basically, we originally bought the V8 because we live at high altitude, thought it would be "the smart choice" for the TM. When it was totaled from behind from a full sized van, we switched "down" to the V6 in order to reduce our insurance loss. DW insists on buying new, always.

We had a full season of Sierra Nevada towing on the V8. We've done two seasons on the V6. The V8 is a lot quieter, both towing and in regular driving. And the V8 will often ride properly "locked up" one gear higher than the V6 can. (In 5th instead of 4th, 4th instead of 3rd, 3rd instead of second 2nd. 2nd gear, BTW, only happens on steep grades 12%+, 7000+ ft.) But the V8 costs more to buy, and it gobbles 10-15% more gas. In regular driving, the shift points are about the same. And so, because it's got better economy with no significant "costs", we actually prefer the V6!

More than adequate for a 2619/2720. Also, don't believe it if a Toyota Salesperson tries to tell you that the V6 hitch receiver "can't handle a big trailer"-- it's the SAME frame, and the bolts are BIG. Drivetrain-wise, Highlander works just as well (the new model Highlander and FJ are now good for 5000 lbs, just like the V6 4R), but the wheelbase and track on these models is a bit less. Highlander has nicer interior, nicer ride for non-towing, but theoretically a bit less safe for the "tail wagging the dog" effect. FJ is really a lot shorter, I feel that it's NOT just theoretical for a vehicle that much smaller.

I don't know what the current Explorer is like. (I didn't like them in 2006, didn't even look at them after the 2007 collision.) But any of these modern engines/drivetrains are VASTLY more capable than your old Explorer, the capabilities of these "V6 engine" SUVs and Crossovers are vastly better than those of just a few years ago.
- - - - -
No one else has towed a small TM for HUNDREDS of miles on both the V8 and the V6, in otherwise identical 4Runners. If you go with Toyota, unless you're bothered by the increased engine noise, definitely get the V6.