View Single Post
Old 02-04-2016, 10:50 AM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Clock the axle? I hadn't heard that term, but it describes exactly what you mean. In point of fact, TM did begin to clock the axle differently. I don't know exactly when, but it was in the 2008-2010 time frame. My 2006 has a factory-installed lift kit, meaning the square tube bolted between the axle and the frame. Starting at about that time, all TMs were built with a lift kit for a while, because it seemed that almost everyone wanted one. And shortly after that, TM got rid of the separate lift kit, and began using a different axle with a higher initial angle. As you suggested, this saved weight, parts cost, and assembly labor on each TM. ISTR that the change wasn't sudden, but was phased in. This is what makes it so difficult to answer the common question "Does my TM have or need a lift kit"? The only real way to know is to measure the height of the frame above ground.

Perhaps the change to the new axle happened at the same time that TM went to 15 inch tires all around? Though I don't recall for sure, it would make sense.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote