View Single Post
Old 08-23-2017, 05:52 AM   #7
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by handjstar View Post
I keep one in my TM all the time. Can make stews and cake in it that are delicious. A fellow camper showed me light one weekend and it is standard equipment now.
Yes, I want to try a dump cake! I'm thinking I need to get another small one - and I doubt I'll use the large one very often at all, but thought it would be good to have, even if I just use it in my oven at home. My enameled cast iron dutch oven I use in the house it only a 3qt, so the larger 5qt cast iron will come in handy, and was WAY cheaper than my enameled 3 qt!

I'm not much of a stew-while-camping person, but I have fond memories as a child, at rest areas off the highway somewhere between MO & NH, eating Dinty Moore Beef Stew heated on a Coleman stove - it was our 'go to' supper meal while traveling back and forth between MO & NH for summer vacation. I always have a couple of cans of it in my pantry, for power outages, etc. I'm thinking half a can in the small DO, with some biscuits on top, just might be a renewed camping favorite! Cheating, I know, but canned Dinty Moore will bring back memories no homecooked stew could ever hope to.