Thread: Bourbon Trail
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2011, 04:30 PM   #4
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
I've always thought it was funny that the Jack Daniels Distillery is in a dry county..................so you can't legally 'buy' it there
We visited the JD distillery a few years ago.

They managed to get a state law passed that allowed them to sell decorative bottles that were not empty.

Things I found interesting:

1. EPA helped them design filters to reduce air pollution was they make their own charcoal.

2. sniffing the product in the large vats before it goes into the kegs.

3. learning that they only use the barrels once. Then they sell them to distilleries that make bourbon and scotch.

4. I was impressed with the display about purchasing an entire barrel of single barrel whiskey. The whiskey is delivered to your door, bottled and in cardboard boxes, but you get the barrel. It is delivered on a pallet. Close to $10,000 if I recall correctly.

5. Seeing where the water comes out of the ground. A modest stream/large creek flowing out of essentially a small cave.

My wife had to skip some of the tour because she has bad knees.

The local town, Lynchburg I think, was also very interesting to visit. Nice restaurant with family style dining where everyone sits at common tables. Nice way to meet interesting people.

We were visiting family in Nashville, so I have no suggestions regarding RV parks.