View Single Post
Old 04-05-2017, 04:09 PM   #3
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Well the most common TM is the 2720 (SD and SL are both slide versions) series but for beds at both ends you might also consider a 2619 or a 3023 both of which are designed for larger families.

As for tow vehicles that is liable to start a holy war and depends on how many people you need to carry. Some prefer a pickup truck others a two seat SUV and larger families a three seat.

The best currently for both towing and MPG is a diesel but the initial cost will probably be higher.

As for gas engines either the 3.5 (not the 2.7) Ford ecoboost or the DOHC 6 Jeep Grand Cherokee are very good.

I have a '12 Grand Cherokee with the 6 cyl and the factory towing package and it handles merging to a freeway and the hills of North Carolina with np and I get 17-18 mpg of 87 PON when towing, 24 on the Interstate when not, and 20mpg overall. For my needs it is almost perfect. Later ones with the 8-speed tow more but I have not felt any need. Also the Jeep is a cool running engine, even on a hot Florida day it may touch 200F coolant and the trans temp (it has a readout) 180.

Note: what every you get, find something with the Factory Towing Package and not a dealer add-on. It includes much more than just the hitch.