View Single Post
Old 02-10-2022, 03:03 PM   #9
Kmikesell
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Well, I have personally seen the aftermath of a camper trailer that broke away, and went charging into the grassy median strip of the Interstate I was on. Fortunately there was a hefty barrier in the median, and the trailer merely slid along it until it stopped. It was messy, but no more than that. Had there been no median barrier, it could have been a lot more than messy.

You searched the Internet and couldn't find anything? You might want to check out this video - the first half is poor sway control, but the second half is breakaways.
https://www.rvtravel.com/video-trail...ares-revealed/

Or how about this one?
https://www.motor1.com/news/478868/t...uck-towing-it/

By the way, you missed one of your stars of glory. How about
* Hitch ball nut loosens, hitch ball detaches from the hitch platform.

I'm not sure why you asked your question, but I'm glad I won't be on the road between Utah and Idaho on that weekend.

Bill
Bill, you are TOTALLY right, I missed one.

I respect your input and advice VERY much.. And YES i did watch that first video, and no it doesn't prove your point. The disconnect was CAUSED on purpose for demonstration purposes. Second video was a RENTAL. So either the driver was a and or the person at the rental place screwed up. And FWIW, you should be way more concerned about any other driver around you than me, I have NEVER caused an accident in my 44 years of driving.

Lastly my "asking" was about using shore power while camping, not battery power while towing. But again, your points are well taken, and the added safety measure of using the breakaway system is a good one. My position is that it is a belt and suspenders idea.

And once more for the record. I am not trolling you nor purposely antagonising you.

(Intonation, and meanings are often lost in conversations like these)

All the best my friend!
DH/DW 2018 Ford F-150
North Utah
Kmikesell is offline   Reply With Quote