View Single Post
Old 03-22-2008, 11:15 AM   #7
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Smile Hitch weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcjim4 View Post
Would like comments on why my hitch weight of 19% is higher than the 10-15% referred to on the forum?
First, Thank You! for posting your numbers. We all know it's a pain to get these, and we know how important it is to be able to work from hard data.

Tongue weights for the empty 2720's with the front slides are higher because of the front slide being heavier than just the front end of the box. I would expect that the bathroom scale method for tongue weight would be more accurate if measured carefully (errors in the lever distances multiply weighing errors, of course).

I'm replacing the monster battery on the outside tongue with a sealed gel-cell type in a storage cabinet as far aft as possible to reduce weight in general and specifically reduce tongue weight. This will cost both money and battery capacity, so this won't be the right idea for everybody, but it will allow better trailer capacity for more important stuff. I'll get complete numbers and post them here, once I am finished and can get it on a scale. Maybe I'll try to figure out how to weigh the trailer one wheel at a time with a bottle jack and the bathroom scale.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote