View Single Post
Old 11-17-2011, 02:07 PM   #2
PopBeavers

My initial post was too big (never had that problem before), so here is the rest.

Nerf bars

These are the side rails you wee on trucks and SUVs.

My wife, with her bad knees, requires the side steps to get in and out of the truck. We have them on the Chevy but not on the GMC, yet. For the GMC we use a folding step. This is becoming a little tiresome to used the folding step. These can easily be added at any time.

Bed liner for trucks

If you do not have a truck then this does not matter.
Spray in versus plastic insert.

I have had both and none. Plastic is the mos slippery and will trap watter underneath, contributing to rust. None is almost as slippery and it will not take long before it is scratched enough that it is at risk of rust. The spray in liner is the least slippery and does not contribute to rust.

I like X-liner better than Rhino, but I can not explain why.

Interior materials

leather, vinyl, cloth

This is a matter of personal preference.

My wife likes leather. Leather is not a good choice when you have been riding ATVs and motorcycles all day in the mud and you then get in the truck to drive back to camp. I like cloth. Neither of us likes vinyl.

Camper shell or not

Only applicable to trucks.

I had a camper shell years ago. I could get a lot of camping gear in without having to tie it down and also not worry about rain. With the motorcycles, a camper shell is not viable.

Front hitch.

Some people find it easier to park a trailer under some conditions by connecting the trailer to the front of the TV. I have never do this so I have no comment. Some people also use it to carry bicycles. I also have no experience with this. It can easily be added.

Lumber rack.

Only applicable to trucks.

If we ever add a canoe or kayaks then a lumber rack is the only way to haul them. I would need a removable rear bar so I can also carry the motorcycles.

I cannot think of anything else. Time for others to add the characteristics I did not think of, or to clarify my definitions and add their own personal experience.

When purchasing a tow vehicle, or any vehicle, it is always a trade off. Decide what characteristics are important to you for your intended use of the vehicle. Then compare that to your budget.

I think it is better to consider the characteristics individually then to try to define a single vehicle as best.

I have the ability to tow off road, and the low profile TM does not scrape on the overhead tree limbs.

My brother has a 38 foot fifth wheel trailer with triple slides.

My brother can not go where I like to go.

I do not like to go where my brother can go.

In six years, we have camped together once.