Thread: Old Radio Shows
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2003, 01:57 PM   #1
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Old Radio Shows

I'm having a great time today. I ran across a web site with a ton of old radio shows available for free download. There are a number of these sites, but this one seems especially easy and fun. Check out [dead link]. Each show is about 20 minutes long. - ie, the original half hour, but with the ads and station breaks removed.

You'll find Bob Hope, Abbott & Costello, Gene Autry, Charlie Chan ... If you don't recognize these names, feel free to go on to the next post. But if the idea of listening to these appeals to you, you can download the shows, make your own CDs, and play them in the TM (or the TV) when you are on the road.

Do you have a CD burner on your computer? If you don't, they are cheap to buy, easy to install, and fun to use. With one of these units, you can make a CD in either standard audio format or MP3 format. In standard format (same as the CDs you buy in the store), each CD will hold one or maybe 2 of these old radio shows - each about 20-25 minutes long. In MP3 format, a single CD will hold 25 or 30 shows (maybe 10 hours). Many board members (including me) will be glad to offer help here.

And do you have a CD player in your TM? Any CD player will play a standard format CD, so if that's the player you have, you can put these old shows on standard CDs. Even better, many in-dash radio/CD players (from Crutchfield, Tweeter, WalMart, etc) will also play MP3 formats. We installed one of these dual-format units in our TM, and love it.

So imagine yourself settled into a rustic campsite with whispering pines, low lights, a campfire, and Jack Benny on the radio. Can't speak for you, but I love it.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote