View Single Post
Old 06-05-2017, 07:14 AM   #19
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Default Final note on this adjustment

For anyone that was wondering, I closed up my TM last night, for the first time since leveling the shells. I was worried that adjustments I made might hinder closing.

I was absolutely amazed at how easily it closes, and opens, now! I actually lifted and closed the back shell 3 times, because I just couldn't believe how easy it was! I have struggled with opening both shells for awhile - I had been attributing it to me just getting older, and not as strong as I used to be. I used to have to brace my foot against the tongue, or the bumper, to get from quarter open to half open. I can now literally lift the back shell with one hand, and once past the 3/4 open mark, it pretty much opens itself, like one of those self-closing drawers.

Closing, to latch, I used to have to get a ladder, and really 'jump' on the foot hold, several times - like rocking it - to finally get it to go far enough down to latch. Now, I just put my foot in the foot hold, and press down, while standing on the ground. No jumping, no ladder, no trying to press down on the roof. It actually latches easier than it ever has, even when brand new.

Until I got to the curb side front - the last latch. I tried everything, but couldn't get it to go far enough down to latch. I even unlatched the street side, and tried latching the curb side first. It seems to be a bit too far back. On my own it's hard to tell, because you can't see the latch while trying to close it. But it appears that the latch point is coming down to the rear of the actual latch (which faces forward). I hauled it down to my mechanic with the front shell, curb side not latched. It's only about 5 miles, of course all down hill, so no telling how much water, leaves & debris are now on the front bed.... it was raining. When I pick it up tonight, I'm going to try to adjust the pocket bolt on that front curbside corner. I'm hoping that will do the trick, without messing up how really well the TM opens and closes now.