View Single Post
Old 05-29-2017, 01:56 PM   #15
pmhellings
Site Sponsor

Default Good Job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoMiPa View Post
Woo Hoo! According to the time stamps on my camera, it took an hour and a half to make all the adjustments, and a couple of the arms I adjusted twice!

For anyone who attempts this - a couple of pointers:

The bolts on my TM's white support arms are 9/16th. A socket works fine for the farthest forward, and the farthest rear arms, but you will need a wrench for the support arms in the middle of the trailer.

Although it only took me an hour and a half, I probably could have been done in half the time if there was someone helping me. Holding the 2x4 vertical, while trying to turn the jack up, was fairly difficult. Had my arms been about a foot longer, it wouldn't have been as bad....

The bolts loosened relatively easy. I've had a harder time breaking lug nuts. The fact that they weren't as hard to break as I thought they would be, tells me that perhaps this is why the shells were so out of level.

She's level now, and I can easily seat the two sides of the bottom half of the door, which was virtually impossible before. The more I learn about the weird little things with TM, the more impressed I am with it's design.

The photos below are in the following order:

1. Before I started the adjustment. Notice how the left side (curb side) of the bed isn't even visible, yet the right side (street side) hangs below the bottom of the shell by about an inch and a half to two inches.

2. Jack & 2.4 in place to begin procedure.

3. Left side (curb side) has been adjusted. I raised the jack so that the 2x4 was snug on the bottom of the upper shell. I then loosened the four bolts at the bottom of the support arms. I then raised the jack about a quarter to half an inch. Using a small mallat, I tapped down on the torsion bar, then tightened the bolts. I repeated this on the other curb side front upper shell support arm.

4. Right side (street side) has been adjusted. On this side, after putting the 2x4 in place to support the bottom of the upper shell, loosening the nuts, lowering the jack about a quarter to half an inch, I then tapped on the bottom side of the torsion bar, to drive it up further into the support arm, then tightened up the bolts.

5. Another view of the front edge of the trailer, showing better how the bed now shows an equal amount under the shell on both sides.
On my 4 Day inaugural "Shakedown" trip, I noticed that my bed wasn't even with the rear shell. It's on my list to correct. Thanks to you, I have the technique. I probably caused the problem myself since I put all new bolts in the torsion bar / lifting arm connections shortly after I bought the camper. The factory ones were extremely rusty. I changed them one bolt at a time but waited until all 4 were in on each arm to torque them.

Paul