View Single Post
Old 05-26-2018, 12:41 PM   #12
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryjb View Post
My father once told me he got a blowout. The antisway on his WDH actually kept the blown out tire/rim off the ground.
With all due respect to your father, this was a myth in the early days. There is no way a WDH could do this, and it is not intended to do it. In fact, it would tend to drive the wheel more firmly onto the ground (or into a pothole) because the WDH puts some of the tongue weight back onto the trailer axle, distributing it evenly left-right.
Quote:
He barely knew he had a blowout.
This has also been my experience, and I've had several blowouts. The same has been reported by a number of other members of this board. I attribute it to the true tracking that the TM exhibits because of the far-back rear axle. The longer lever arm gives the tow vehicle more control over the trailer. Or to phrase it in reverse, when the trailer tries to sway, the long lever arm gives the trailer less ability to yank the tow vehicle around.
Quote:
I am probably going to get the WDH without antisway, but make sure I have something to which antisway could be added if I change my mind in the future. This is partly influencing my choice from the list I posted.
I think this is a great choice. It's the one I made, and I have never regretted it. In my nearly 20 years of long-distance TMing, I've encountered almost every conceivable sway situation, with no hint of sway.
Quote:
The Reese 66073 with the included antisway sounds like a very good WDH, but expensive if antisway is not really necessary. Personally, I'm leaning towards the Reese 66021 which could have standard antisway install afterwards.
My preference would be the 66021, which I bought for the exact reason you express. But of course the final decision is yours.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote