View Single Post
Old 01-19-2008, 10:07 AM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Eric (and others who are worried about tire clearance) -

I understand that you are upset. But there is a solution that doesn't involve re-engineering, or a lift kit, or a new axle, or anger. We discussed it some years ago, so I'm not surprised that you didn't see it. It works like this.

If you take off the wheel well cover on the side of your TM, you will see that there is plenty of clearance ahead of and behind the tire. The question is whether there is enough clearance between the top of the tire and the wheel well liner. If not, it should be pretty simple to raise the liner. It is not a structural part of the trailer in any sense - it is just a piece of molded plastic.

The wheel well liners are simply screwed to the floor inside the TM, and easily accessbile from inside the kitchen cabinets. So unscrew the liners from the floor, screw a piece of 1X1 hardwood to the floor where the liner used to go, and screw the liner back down on top of this lip. Bingo, you've gained an inch in tire clearance.

Though I haven't done it (haven't had to), I think that it really is that simple. When you are done, you will probably have to add a screw at the top of the wheel well cover, to hold it against the outside surface of the TM sidewall. And you may have to do some caulking where the liner used to meet the sidewall of the camper. But I don't think it is a big deal.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote