View Single Post
Old 01-18-2008, 10:12 PM   #5
Goodyear Travels

Dan,
I certainly wish you success and I am very interested in your results. But I have to say that I will be surprised if the 15 inch tires and wheels give you the necessary clearance on a '07 2720sl with the 22.5 degree axle. As I noted in another post, we have the same model and our clearance (from the top of the wheel to the wheel well) is only TWO INCHES with the 14 inch wheels. I don't know who is telling you that the 15 inch tires will work unless they tell you that you should also have a lift kit installed. I also contacted Dexter and verified that we do have the 22.5 degree axle by using the axle numbers. Dexter also responded that a minimum 3 inches of clearance is required. I have also heard that the TM factory has changed to the 45 degree axle after using the 22.5 degree axle for only the '07's. What this suggests to me is that the factory did not engineer the '07 2720sl properly and did not discover that the 22.5 degree axle did not provide adequate clearance until sometime after manufacture. Please --- if the trailer has only two inches of clearance when equipped with little more than the factory options --- then we do have a problem. We have a problem even if we do nothing --- even if we hold onto the 14 inch wheels. I know that assumptions can be dangerous and I'm trying to see the whole picture. So --- before I express my concerns to the factory --- I hope to hear from you. I also want everyone to know that I think very highly of all of the folks at the factory who have assisted me this past year. I'm not trying to be a hardcase. If, however, there is an engineering problem --- and TM did not follow Dexter's axle guidelines when using even the 14 inch tires --- then I expect the factory to provide a solution for the '07 2720sl folks. I don't care how nice some of the folks at the factory are to work with. I don't think that it should be my responsibility to correct engineering and safety issues. I believe that the factory should then provide a lift kit and bear the cost of its installation. If what I have shared is true and if there is an engineering issue --- then TM should perhaps announce a recall and correct the defect for everyone who is affected. I'm not sure how this post will be viewed. It may be pulled because it casts a bit of a shadow on TM. I will be the one of the first to write a glowing recant if I am off-base on this. But this is a forum for opinions, ideas, and sometimes --- speculation. I am only searching for the truth and an answer. Dan, please post your results.