View Single Post
Old 01-18-2008, 07:44 AM   #4
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixielou View Post
Wonder why the TrailManor factory doesn't offer 15" tires as a factory option? Does anyone know if there is a compelling reason not to do so? Would be nice to enjoy the benefits and safety of traveling with our 3326K without being concerned about being over loaded. As it is, we travel near the maximum load capacity and that is with an empty water tank.
Dixielou,

Since the larger TMs have 2 axles, you have four 14" tires in the 3326k to distribute your load, up to about 4900 lbs. max. load capacity on your unit, with ~4400 lbs. on your TM axles (~4900 lbs. GVWR minus ~500 lbs. tongue weight). So that would leave you about 1100 lbs. per tire, well under the 1870 lb. per tire rating of the C rated 14" tires. Yes, it would still be better if they used 15" tires, but I would think the 3326 probably has the best "cushion" factor per tire than any other TM model, mainly because you are distributing the weight between tandem axles.

I guess my main concern is if you lost tire pressure in 1 tire, then the other tire on that is over its rated capacity....that could be a potential problem. The TMPS that rickst29 mentions above could help with that problem if a tire goes down slowly, or even if you aren't aware of a blow-out. I have the Doran system, and it is extra peace of mind during travel.

Chap