View Single Post
Old 08-08-2016, 08:18 AM   #7
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Thank you Bruce for the chart but it demonstrates what I have been saying: that chart is not how Maxxis rates their tires, it is a tire industry chart that all manufacturers build their ST (special trailer) tires to. Some just meet those requirements, others (I suspect Maxxis is like this) exceed them.

Key is to buy tires (and wheels) that are more than what you need on paper. My 2720SL is always lightly loaded when I travel, under 4,000lbs. Less 460 (measured) tongue weight and 60lbs for the tires is 3480/2=1740 so TM was probably reasonable specifying 1870 lb @ 50 psi LRC tires. Mine are rated 2150 at 65psi LRD which gives me about 20% margin which I like. On a 90+F day at 65 mph my tires are warm but not hot to the touch.

Think I have finally found a TPMS that has enough range. Suspect they use a metal valve stem as part of the antenna so may have much shorter range with a rubber valve stem.

Have seen the zipper effect but did not know the name but is why you need to consider a tire that has been run flat for any distance as ruined. That said, flex is why the sidewall is tupically a lesser number of polyester plies. Radial tires are designed to have some flex.

However the bottom line is that the majority of non-impact tire failures are caused by overloading and/or underinflation and the temperature skyrockets.

ps the load rating is based on tire pressure times tire volume. The Load Rating is based on the tire construction with industry defined steps. The ratings are pure math. Tire construction is how the manufacturers achieve those ratings. I look for a nylon cap or overlay in a trailer tire because it is a good thing and if it has that then I feel I can trust the other ratings as well.

pps the stronger the tire, the more it weighs so the faster you go the faster the tire spins and the more force is acting on the tire. Part of the reason I like 15s better than 14s & shudder when I see a pickup pulling a trailer with 8" tires at 70.