View Single Post
Old 08-14-2010, 03:07 PM   #59
cochise

Quote:
Originally Posted by efelker View Post
I've followed this thread - and the others about some of the early problems (perhaps) with the Elkmont (especially leaks). I'm a big fan of Trailmanor - in fact many of the owners on this forum are using the checklists I compiled -- but color me a curmudgeon for feeling that if I'm going to pay $30K for an Elkmont why should I be climbing all over a ladder replacing all the roof caulk so the unit doesn't leak? If I wanted leaks - I'd stay in a tent, and not spend $30K of my hard earned money.

I'm still a fan, and think TM makes one of the finest products out there for the camper -- but I sure hope the factory has licked the leak problem - if there really was one - because the Elkmont is the one my wife wants - and after more than 8 years of looking we are finally ready to buy.

Ed
Good answer! One thing however---if TM makes one of the finest products out there, I am sure glad that I didn't go for one of the other. My Elkmont 24, purchased in September 2009 from Texas RV Center in Cleburne TX, just came back after a month at an RV place in Tucson to have a long list of problems fixed, among others the replacement of the furnace to one that works and is correctly installed. Brulaz knows what I am talking about. This is only the third time it is in the shop and the total cost to TM is $ 5638.20 plus the cost of the new furnace, whatever Suburban charged them. The repairs were a 22 points list, including corrections of several code violations, wiring problems, brake problems, kinked gas lime unsecured LP gas regulator, leaks in the bath room, de-lamination on both lower sides of the unit, and just super sloppy workmanship.

So please bear with me if I am not impressed.

To Brulaz: Since you are doing this yourself, perhaps it would help to use a #400 wet sand paper and sand along the seams before sealing them.
cochise is offline   Reply With Quote