View Single Post
Old 07-07-2020, 07:28 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

You really don't need a WDH on your Ram 1500, especially with the long cab. Nonetheless, I understand your desire to use one. I bought one for my 2002 Explorer V-8, then continued to use it on my 2008 Explorer just because I had it, and then used it on my 2014 F-150 for the same reason. A couple years ago, I sold the hitch with my TM-of-the-moment, then did a 3000 mile trip without one this year, and noticed no need for one. My current plan is not to replace it.

It is easy to relocate the breakaway switch if you need to. Just be sure the cable is free and can't snag on anything. Incidentally, the breakaway switch always seems to be installed in a tilted-down position - I'm not sure why unless it is to keep water out. I have always re-oriented mine to point slightly upward. That lets me route the cable above the A-frame and hitch area, rather than looping downward where it could snag on something below it, such as a safety cable or a tree branch or a dirt hummock.

The big question is the safety cables/chains. I think (you need to confirm) that the brackets are not very deep, top-to-bottom, and may fit above the cable bolts. I just know I had no trouble with my cable bolts. I know I hate the cables, but that is a different issue.

Yes, I am still making screen doors available. I'll send you some info by email later today.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote