View Single Post
Old 04-20-2016, 02:55 PM   #3
mecicon
TrailManor Master

Exclamation A couple points of fact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
As I understand it just about everyone uses steel plies in the tread for strength but steel does not bond well to rubber. Tires are essentially multi-piece starting with the carcass (usually two ply) and then the tread layers are bonded to that.

Bias ply tires do not separate as often as radial ply tires (has to do with the angle of the plies to the carcass). Probably the most famous example was the Firestone 500 in the late '70s
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firest...Rubber_Company While the cause was never proved, it is believed that the failure of bonding cements, used by Firestone to hold the tread to the tire carcass, may have allowed water to penetrate the tire which in turn may have caused the internal steel wire to corrode.

Differing from the case(s) of the FORD EXPLODER where the automobile manufacturer recommended lower than optimal PSI to accommodate a "softer ride."

Quote:
though their sister company, Bridgestone, has similar problems later (any more I just buy BFGs or Micelins (same company but I haven't found an ST line).
Bridgestone is not a sister company to Firestone, Bridgestone ACQUIRED Firestone in 1988 making Bridgestone the Parent.

Quote:
Part of the problem is the aging of tires. Back in the day I wore out a set of Wide Ovals about every three months and a new set was $100.00. Today tires last much longer. Lately I've been replacing tires more on age than wear (though I replaced the Goodyears that came on my Jeep with Michelins when the Goodyears still had about 50% tread left because I was seeing the Traction Control light a lot when it rained. Don't now). I replaced the tires on the Judge even though they showed little wear, they were 20 years old. Big (255x70x15) muscle car tires are getting hard to find, may need to go to 17s for the next set.

But back at the nylon cap. Nylon bonds well to both steel and rubber plus it adds and additional ply of strength to the tire. By adding a nylon overlay/cap/ply (all mean the same thing) the tire is made both stronger and more resistant to separation.

Could go deep into ply angles and such. Won't. Only advice: for a single axle trailer like the TM I would only consider a LRD or E and only with a nylon cap.
'01 Ford Excursion Limited 7.3 L PSD 4WD (Rudolph) (Sold)
'18 Keystone Cougar 29BHS (Sold)
'15 Prime Tracer 25BHS (Traded)
'06 TrailManor 2619 (Traded)

:cwmddd:
mecicon is offline   Reply With Quote