View Single Post
Old 04-24-2023, 02:00 PM   #6
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane826 View Post
Wayne- What did you not like about driving the Class A? I often wonder about a motorhome to make long distance travel more palatable for the kids (13yo son and 45yo wife)…
There is more stress in driving the big rigs. We towed a 20' cargo trailer (with a RZR and workshop) most of the time (around 5500#). We mostly go from our home to an area around the Salton Sea where we camped and road off-road vehicles. It was a 3-hour drive through winding mountain roads and by the time we got there (about 3-hours with a 30-minute lunch stop) I was very tense. My shoulders ached and I was very tired. Of course, I'm in my late 70's and that has a lot to do with it but driving the big rigs is simple more stressful than pulling a TM.

When we take cross-country trips, I like to drive for about 5-6 hours. Any more than that ruins the experience for me. When pulling the TM, it seems like I can drive all day and not get tired.

The downside is, no bathroom available while traveling. If we want food or drinks, we have to carry an ice chest. While on the road, our 2 dogs are constantly sitting on my wife's lap (even though we have a large back seat area. When in the MH, the dogs road in the back or on the dashboard. If we want a quick nap, it's not very comfortable in the truck even though the seats recline all the way back.

We had a Class C way back when and I wouldn't do that again. They are easy to drive on flat straight roads in good weather. If it's windy and/or winding roads, it can be a white knuckle ride. The Class A has a longer and wider wheel base which makes it much more stable.