View Single Post
Old 08-24-2023, 10:33 AM   #8
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Deb -

Perhaps a silly question, but have you tried enabling Wi-Fi Calling on your phone? If you have a decent Wi-Fi signal available (I know, unlikely in a campground), your phone is perfectly happy to use it instead of the cellular signal.

How do I know? We have a camp (that's Maine-speak for lakefront cottage) in north central Maine. Cell service is not available unless I drive nearly 5 miles. But we do have really great Wi-Fi service! Works like a champ.

Bill
Hi Bill. Nope. Sadly there is no wi-fi either. These spots are both conservation areas - great campgrounds, 30A service, excellent water, lots of trees - likely part of the problem, though you can't get anything in the open areas either - large sites with privacy (nothing cheek-by-jowl) but cell service is spotty at best and there isn't wi-fi unless you drive to the nearest Tim Horton's (Canadian for coffee shop )

95% of the time I can get along just fine without a booster - until I get to these 2 campgrounds. They are the only spots within reasonable distance to my brothers - and they are both very nice spots to stay. And I am always there for at least 10-14 days. No point in spending 10 days driving one way and only staying a week.

I spent parts of my morning walks with the dogs, phone in hand, waiting for a bar to show up. If and when it did, I would stop and make my call! And even then my odds were no better than 25% that it would go through, or stay connected if it did. Awkward with 2 dogs in hand. Miserable in the rain (which it did a lot this year).

Not looking to be able to stream anything. Just text, make and receive a phone call, check the web for information - like 2 years ago when we were evacuated here at home because of a wildfire. My brother kept sending me information by text (when it would come through) keeping me informed as to whether I would have a home to return to, because I couldn't get a page to load on-line. It would sit there, the progress bar not moving. I'm in the mountains of BC, and we are on fire again - annual occurrence but getting worse every year! If I had stayed a week longer this time, I would have had to take a longer, more circuitous route home - the TransCanada highway is currently closed north-east of me.

I think the $600+ that this system would cost me would remove a lot of frustration, and make my visit a lot more relaxing. I make this trip every one or two years, wallet depending! Next time!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_17c9.jpeg
Views:	97
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	22487   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_17ce.jpeg
Views:	87
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	22488