Thread: Solar install
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2017, 01:27 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

This is a great piece of work. Congratulations!

Let me maker two minor comments if I may.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inghamm View Post
... I tried connecting the TV to the TM with the Bargman, engine running and the TM battery disconnected, and I had no power in the TM – no lights or anything. I suspected the Bargman was not connected to the battery in the TV – it was a U-Haul after-market Bargman install.
This behavior means that your tow vehicle is not delivering power to its Bargman connector. This is a common problem, and usually a very simple fix. Problem: Many tow vehicles come from their factory with trailer wiring in place, even if no connector is installed. The power wire runs through a fuse in a fuse panel somewhere, but the manufacturer puts the fuse in a plastic bag in the glove compartment! Who knows why, but it is common. Solution: ]If you get out your vehicle's owners manual, you can find a diagram of the fuse box and locate the socket where the fuse needs to be inserted. The U-Haul guys should have done this, but apparently didn't. Anyway, if the fuse is still in the glove compartment, just plug it into the socket. If you've lost the fuse over the years, the owner's manual will tell you what fuse you need, and you can buy it in any auto parts store for less than a buck. Remember, if you don't do this, your tow vehicle will never charge your trailer's battery.

Quote:
... Since I was running 2 panels in parallel I got these connectors for the Y: ...
I decided to go with the more expensive MPPT that Brad had used to try to squeeze every bit of power out of my light weight solar panels
An MPPT controller is very happy with panels connected in parallel. But it is even happier (meaning more efficient, squeezing out even more power) if the panels are connected in series. This is because an MPPT controller converts excess voltage into extra charge current, and you get more excess voltage with the panels in series. Panels in parallel don't have much excess voltage.

Real nice job. Keep us posted on how it works as you go through your travels.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote