View Single Post
Old 08-10-2010, 01:03 PM   #4
cochise

"4. What do I do with it? Do I add it to the trailer to make sure I don't exceeds its GVWR or do I add it to the tow vehicle to make sure I don't exceed its GVWR? Whew--I thought it would be so simple to just pick a trailer and use one of the recommended vehicles they say can tow 3500 pounds but noooooo. They are too small. I have to find something that tows 5500+ pounds to be safe".

TrailManor has a tendency to under estimate the actual tongue weight, in writing no less. I own an Elkmont 24, which they boldly advertise as weighing 3500 lb with 350 on the tongue in their brochure. Even empty it weighs way more, more like 600 lb on the tongue. And in my case at least even the document used to register the trailer was falsified as it showed the shipping weight from the dealer, with all the options, including LP gas tanks as 2733 lb. And the dealers sales flyer shows the same with all the equipment. So I would be very wary of anything they tell me. Brulaz knows what I am talking about, he got his Elkmont from the same dealer as I did.
cochise is offline   Reply With Quote