First, it seems a shame to truncate your very entertaining post, so
leaving it below for reference, let me say it's obvious that forced air
has occurred to you, too. Look, I'm not interested in blasting away
for hours at a time. I don't even want to run over 60 mph - I'd just like
to recreate 14.7 lbs. per inch and let those 32 valves do their thing -
is that asking too much of a well balanced motor? Why would pistons
want to fly while running under the rev limiter? There is one, no? I'm
not trying to re-create hell on earth inside those 8 chambers, just
the normal, well radiated burn pattern registered with the Calif.
AQMD (smog police) at sea level here in Calif. (or is it done in
Indiana?). Well, maybe a wee bit more, to keep up with those 49-state
TV's.
Yes, the iForce engine does have a rev limiter. The likely reason those pistons and rods made an exit through the side of the motor was catastrophic detonation (a really, really bad case of "knock"). The cause of that was most likely an extremely lean fuel mixture caused by excessively hot intake air. As mentioned above, the huge weakness of the TRD blower is that it does not have an intercooler...hence intake air can under certain conditions exceed 250 degrees. Furthermore, there are a number of disparaging comments on TundraSolutions about the quality of TRD's programming of the supplemental ("piggyback") ECU they provide with the supercharger. For one thing, this ECU is programmed to provide extra (cooling) fuel into the blower plenum via the 9th (all years) and 10th ('03s and later) injectors based only on inputs from the throttle position sensor...it does not monitor actual boost level or intake air temp after the blower as it should for determining the amount of extra fuel to inject. Several guys have called it a "piggycrap" ECU and quite frankly I think they're pretty close to the mark. Methinks that TRD stuff in general is grossly overrated and hugely overpriced.
Quote:
But I hear you - at the price, without Toyota standing behind it's probably better to get a killer sound system and forget the 6 and 7 liter rigs thunder by. Unless.

Question. Does Toyota raise the axle ratio with the towing package?
Unfortunately no. Based on my preliminary (non-towing) experiences after regearing my truck from the stock 3.91 ratio to a 4.30 gearset, Toyota definitely should have made 4.30 gears part of the towing package. The performance difference is large (it lets the engine run at peak torque at towing speeds); yet the effect on gas mileage seems miniscule (perhaps .5 mpg).
Quote:
Question. Is there a discussion of generators on this board (I'm lazy).
Yes. Use the search feature. However, not many folks have reported buying generators. One person had a genset mounted on his TM's hitch...good results but exceedingly high hitch weight. For portable generators, the consensus is to get one of the ultra quiet Honda models (EU series).

However, you really only need a generator if you must run the AC while camping. For lighting and other 12 volt power usage, solar panels are a far better solution. Several of us (Caver, Rotor_Wash, Bill, myself) have installed panels and are extremely happy with the results.
Quote:
Question. Does de-badging, "tonneauing" the TV increase tow capacity?
Debadging...no (though it does reduce waxing time ). I'm leaving my Tundra fully badged so there's no question in the minds of other truck brand owners that they were passed like they were standing still by a Toyota!

Tonneauing actually decreases tow capacity because it adds substantial weight to the truck (200 to 400 lbs depending on brand and model). With the paltry 11,800 GCWR a Tundra is pretty limited on tow capacity to begin with and every ounce you add to the weight of the truck is an ounce less towing capacity. A tonneau might slightly improve towing gas mileage though.
Quote:
Question. What did Toyota do to boost hp to 282 vs. 240 last year?
They re-engineered the head (and ECU) to have variable valve timing. That (in conjunction with a higher redline RPM) allowed an increase in top end horsepower. However, peak torque...a far, far more important number for towing than peak horsepower...increased by only 5 ft-lbs.
Quote:
Question. Why do we stick with these little Swiss Army knives?
Question. Why not just forget this nonsense get a big-liter Ford?
I know - same reason you don't take a Ski-Do to the summit!
Welllll...in my case at the time I got my Tundra there were only two trucks that would fit in my kinda smallish garage...the Tundra and the Dodge Dakota. After test driving both, it was obvious the Tundra was far more refined and worth the extra $3 grand. Plus Toyota's reliability record is far better than any of the domestics. I was also able to buy my Tundra for almost $4000 under Invoice (not MSRP but Invoice...about $9000 below sticker). With that kind of upfront savings, I didn't mind at all spending $3000 or so on "tweaks" that have raised the performance to a level that meets my rather demanding needs.
Quote:
One or two answers is all I will deserve!

Thanks for all the in-flight entertainment, Ray.

Tom
Glad to provide some joy!

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote