View Single Post
Old 02-28-2004, 02:14 PM   #8
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Re:Censor system could use a tweak

Thanks for the fix, Chris...looks like I wasn't the only one that was frustrated with it. Glad to have amused folks along the way too! ;D

[quote author=F. J. and Ellen link=board=24;threadid=1693;start=msg11993#msg1199 3 date=1077546829]
Also, has anyone noticed when you type a message in Word then paste it here, quotation marks are replaced bya series of symbols. Is that part of the same filter?
[/quote]

Chris'll have to answer for sure but I doubt this has anything to do with the censor filter. My suspicion is that Word is inserting characters that aren't part of the forum's fonts. Characters aren't stored internally in a computer as text per se but rather as one byte (8 bit) ASCII code numbers (or sometimes as two byte UNICODE code numbers). The ASCII system supports up to 256 characters, those text characters that go with codes 0 to 127 are pretty much universal across all fonts. However, the characters that go with codes 128 to 255 vary dramatically between fonts. (Assuming that we're using Western European characters here, BTW).

Microsoft Word doesn't use the standard " quote character (ASCII code number 20) for word quotations, but rather one that's more typographically correct (the start and end quote characters tilt a bit toward the quoted words...in the Arial Font these are probably code numbers 147 and 148).

My guess is the forum (which has to translate into HTML) has other meanings for ASCII codes above 127. When you try to paste in text that contains "high" ASCII code characters, I suspect it displays them using the symbols it has for those codes, not the symbols that Word used for the codes in the font you were using in Word.

One technique that may reduce translation errors is to do your Word based editing with a font more similar to that used here...I believe that Times New Roman probably comes closest.
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote