View Single Post
Old 03-25-2014, 06:53 PM   #9
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

First, you should note that I believe the dry weights listed on the TM's website do not include "accessories" that are often considered standard, like batteries, propane tanks, air conditioner, awning, spare tire, etc. Or at least that used to be the case, and I may have some of them wrong or not included others. Point being, you certainly cannot rely on those numbers as exact. They are only guides. A call to the factory would probably very easily reveal what a typically-equipped trailer weighs as sold off the dealer floor.

Second......

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallen1x View Post
I haven't checked the tongue weight to see if the class II can handle a TM so I'll get on that one.
I can't imagine it can handle the weight. Tongue weight is the whole reason for getting a class III hitch. And TMs have inordinarily heavy tongue weights (think 500-700 lbs).

And finally......

Quote:
I've towed 3500 before (with Class II to III adapter and w/o trailer brakes) when the F350 was not available and the Edge did great. The 3.5L V6 and the brakes on the Edge worked great (short distance and flat ground). Going from a 4way to 7way plug shouldn't be that much of a problem.
Wow, that is really not good. Towing 3500 lbs without brakes is not only unsafe, especially in a marginal tow vehicle, but in every state where I've read such regulations, IIRC, it's also illegal. If you are at fault in an accident in such a state and you hurt someone, there's a reasonable chance you'll spend some time in jail. Is that risk worth it, regardless of whether or not you think the Flex is capable?

Quote:
I usually need to get over the Cascade range or the Coast range here in the Pacific NW. That's why I'm wondering about getting the TM down to around 3000.
I used to live in the PNW, and there is no way I would even tow my 2720 in those mountains with anything less than a vehicle with a tow rating of at least 5,000 lbs.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote