View Single Post
Old 06-08-2007, 04:43 PM   #8
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Question Liz-- I don't think he understood the issue.

In A FEW cases, lug nuts are hidden under a cover (part of the wheel) which *is* protected by the plate (e.g., if there's no room under the HDWL protector to peel it away and expose lug nuts.) But OUR lug nuts are totally exposed, and most part-of-the-wheel lug nut cover plates snap loose with almost no vertical clearance needed. And so, a person can raise the TM on a jack to allow the wheel to "spin free" underneath the lock. And, by spinning it, you can expose EVERY lug nut to a socket (with extender) by spinning the wheel, so that the "next" lug nut is out from under the plate:
Rotate the wheel so that the next lock nut to be removed is completely opposite from the lock. The lug nut cover plate doesn't reach over that far .
After all the lug nuts are removed, the whole wheel comes right off, with the HDWL still attached. This is a trivial, 60 second attack-- (and maybe even quicker if he's got an impact wrench to pull off the lug nuts.) The ONLY issue being that Mr. Thief will have to put on YOUR spare, or bring his own wheel, in order to drive away.

I suspect the EquipmentLock guy wasn't considering exactly this attack, in which the wheel is raised up with a jack to allow spinning it. Or do I misunderstand the defense against this? I totally don't see it from the pictures or my own TM and HDWL: Unless the HDWL "lug nut plate" is in fixed position, with the lug nut protector plate over one (or two) of the lug nuts, preventing their removal, the whole wheel comes off easily.

My solution is to keep the HDWL "locked in place" over a particular lug nut, and the relevant wheel cutout, by hooking the end INTO one of the wheel cutouts. Both are then protected by being under the plate. He can get at the other 4 or 5 lug nuts, but can't get at this one without an exotic and slow-to-use "offset" socket drive-- and IIRC, all of those which I've ever seen are WAY too tall to get in under the plate. (I can sorta imagine a skinny one, but haven't seen one. They're not made to offset the socket, they're made to offset THE HANDLE.)
- - - -

Locking Lug nuts are a GREAT solution to this problem, but require a new wheel-- one in which the lug nut is "submerged" into the wheel, as in all SUVs which are so equipped. I had a link to one in the other Thread, and I remember that 14" is available too. The 15" definitely matches the TM wheel, and they've got a 14" with a 5 bolt pattern-- but you have to check BOTH the 5.5" rim width (my 15" wheel is 6") and double-check that the bolt pattern size is 4.5". Rather than look up how this is measured (it's NOT the diameter of the circle), I'd call the factory

If you go this way, then the only need for the lug nut "protector plate" is to prevent brute force cutting attacks on the wheel itself. Skipping the plate makes the HDWL even smaller for carrying inside the TV, of course

I complained that fancy, bright aluminum wheels underneath a WHITE trailer looks kinda like a pimp-mobile. (Liz, is the corresponding thing called a "madam-mobile" ?) And it's $100 (for just ONE, not matching both sides), even before the big shipping charges, and before buying locking lug nuts (of which you really only need to use one per wheel). But you might also be able to find a wheel like this locally.

http://shop.easternmarine.com/index....8&categoryID=0