Thread: Another new guy
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2023, 08:49 PM   #1
Dodge trucker

Default Another new guy

New to TM but not new to campers and the outdoors
I've had an apache hard side for ~10-12 years now and after our last campout (oct 22) my wife started insisting that we look for a more conventional, non pop up.
I looked at a few different ones, got stood up on a nice older holiday rambler, got sold from under me when the guy knew I took off work early and drove quite a ways specifically to meet at the day/time he wanted. "wheeled out 1/2 hour before I got there"....
Having attended several apache round ups in Ohio the past 10 Augusts (missed the last one due to $5 gas, I'm 2 states away)
A couple of our regulars had moved into hi Lo's and TM,,'s. and I was intrigued by them.
The biggest issue with the appaches were lack of ac (my wife has asthma and recently got assigned a CPAP) and the manual cranking up increasingly wears on me, since I started having issues with my shoulder.
We don't spend much time in a camper when out, we're outside doing "camping" things. We store our clothes and food within and sleep, that's about it. I was happy with my tent on wheels.

I've been looking at different campers the last few weeks (brands models) and was tired of wild goose chases and seeing pieces of crap and issues not coming in pix provided in ads, that my wife has found on marketplace/, real nice looking units that don't "show themselves" as 5th wheels until the end of the pix . I owe on my truck, so I can't simply sell it and upgrade to a 3/4 ton anytime soon /so I had to find something towable by what we have. Those being a Durango and a reg cab long bed 1/2 ton dodge that has a V8 but not a hemi...
I looked at a hi Lo that wound up had lots of water damage, and a bunch of crap in between.
I'd looked at a 2720 at a semi local rv stealership that wound up having been already sold before I saw it and selling for what I thought was an obscenely high price.

When we discovered this TM 3023 on marketplace and I talked to the people we bought it from (extensively) on the phone I decided to take a "sick" day and head up this morning for a look before something else got away. This 3023 is much larger than the 2720 at the stealership and 10 years older, at 1997 vs a 2007, but at a much more tolerable price. And though there are a couple of minor things I need to tend to, it's in better shape than that 2720 in a few ways like for one thing this 97 has a much more pronounced crown to it's roof than that one did.... It was 160-ish miles one way "just" across the line into Wisconsin but I brought it home.
Dodge trucker is offline   Reply With Quote