View Single Post
Old 12-09-2022, 02:50 PM   #14
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephene1219 View Post
This is what my tire shop said about the trailer tires.

Load Range is "E". This means it is 10 ply and using 80 PSI
Speed Rang is "M" which is 81MPH
Load Index is 117, which means each tire can carry 2,833 lbs at 80 PSI

He also says the Mastertrack tires are just like tires that come on cars from the factory. They are adequate but will not last very long.

This year I did almost 5,000 miles with the trailer and next year it will be closer to 10,000 miles. Maybe I should just put really good tires on now
If I were you (which I'm not), I would put on a good spare now. Recommend Maxxis M8008 load range "E". Then in about 2 more years replace the tires on the trailer. The originals should certainly be OK for 4 or 5 years. Mileage makes little difference to trailer tires (unless they are mistreated). What trailer tires suffer from mostly is on-use..... sitting in one spot.

The rubber needs to be "exercised" to keep the rubber viable and avoid sidewall rot. That's why particular attention must be paid to the spare tire, it's the most important tire on the trailer and the most ignored. I can't tell you how many stories that I've heard about people having a blow-out, putting on the spare and it blows out 10-miles down the road, leaving the owner in a pickle.

When you buy new tires, rotate them and put the spare (that's never been used) on the right side of the trailer and put put one of the new ones on the left, the other on the spare. In 6- years, buy all 3 tires new.