View Single Post
Old 06-19-2013, 08:17 AM   #18
TravlinOn

I went through this decision process, ie TV engine vs Trailer weight a few years back with a purchase of a "box" trailer. My TV at that time had a small V8 but the weight of that trailer was on the borderline - but the salesman said it would do just fine.

Right. In one respect, the salesman was correct. You have probably seen the Ad in which a Toyota (I think) truck pulls a big airliner down the road? That's because all the weight of the airliner is matched by the road, ie the weight is straight down . All the force needed by the truck is just to overcome the friction of the tires - if the airline was a hovercraft, then all that would be needed would be a push of your little finger to push it along.

I incorrectly made my decision and bought the "box". I found that I could start out and pull the trailer on a level stretch up to 55mph without much trouble although it took a while to accomplish. But then, I found that I could not pass a vehicle, even at slower speeds, without a really long, gradual acceleration (if at all). Steep hills? Forget about it!

Just my experience. Love my TM.