View Single Post
Old 10-20-2016, 12:42 AM   #17
Skyjim73

Hi Will, you are correct on both counts. Andersen plus swing hitch. At this point I like how quiet, bounce-free, and LIGHT the Andersen is, but dislike the dry hitch ball, which can be a pain to unhitch (plus it simply offends my mechanical sensibilities; still not sure about wear on the female socket... need more miles to decide.).

I am not certain how much weight transfer is actually going on when the chains are tensioned but have been too lazy to do quantitative experiments. Also been fairly low on spare change since buying the truck and shell, but I do need to do some baseline weighing of the combination ready for the road!

Scott and his crew actually performed the installation at Custom after I brought the hitch to them. I bought mine on Amazon after a quick call to Andersen to verify I was specifying the correct model number. I'll take some images tomorrow if you need more detailed shots, but IIRC you can see the bracket locations pretty clearly in the shots in front of my house. Scott followed the installation literature when positioning the brackets (you really will want to weld them) and they have caused me no problems thus far, though to be honest I have yet to swing the swing hitch...

Let me know if you want some detail images of the brackets and I'll get them to you ASAP. EDIT: Attaching a cropped blowup of existing shot. Will, note that the brackets are well aft of the swing hitch mating plane...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0066.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	14315  
3124KB delivered 5/2015 - early unit from Nebraska. TM installed Dometic compressor fridge, lower battery rails, 4AWG batt cable, and PD converter during build. Custom RV installed cassette toilet, two 260 AH 6V batts, 2 UniSolar 64 solar panels, Morningstar MPPT controller/meter.

Tow vehicle: 2016 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman CC 4x4 3.0 diesel.
Skyjim73 is offline   Reply With Quote