View Single Post
Old 11-15-2011, 09:00 AM   #11
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb&Tim View Post
I see a new PopBeaver's rule in the making:

No matter how big your TV is, it's never big enough!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbleweed View Post
Actually the amount of stuff necessary to camp comfortably follows Moores Law.

Add to that:

"Nature abhors a vacuum", Baruch Spinoza

On the side of our local transit mixers (aka cement trucks) "Find a need and fill it", Ruth Stafford Peale.

If my truck was a little bigger I could load my daughter's Miata in it. Why have only a spare tire when you can have a spare car.

BTW, as far as I can tell, the fuel economy of both of my trucks is essentially identical.

My fuel economy running empty is not all that good. But the penalty for loading it up isn't bad.

I can tow, fully loaded, up and over Donner Summit, 7056 feet, at the speed limit (55 mph when towing), using cruise control. I wish the small commuter cars would use the truck lane. They have no choice but to drive slower than me, due to vehicle design limitations. and I am required to be in the slow lane because I am towing.

Assume I get 11 mpg towing. Assume a different truck gets 15 mpg towing. Assume 300 miles round trip. Assume regular gas is 3.83 (current price for Chevron).

300/11 = 27 gallons
300/16 = 18 gallons

9 gallon difference

9*3.83 = 34.47 extra that I pay for using a big gasser

Dinner for two at black Angus is more than that.

Dinner for two for two nights at our favorite cafe is 40.

As I mentioned before, my GMC is still worth more than I paid out the door (I got a good deal new).

I am one of those guys that does use 4wd, but not very often. But when I use it, I need it. When we started camping in the TM we had no plans for boon-docking. Now that we have added the toys we routinely boon-dock.

I'll keep my trucks.

Our son got married two years ago. If we ever have grand children I have enough room for them. I have a back seat in the crew cab and my TM 2720 sleeps six. I did plan ahead on that one.

But, by all means, don't buy what I bought. Buy what you need now and in the foreseeable future. Buy what you can afford.

My budget is not the same as your budget.

Happy towing.