View Single Post
Old 07-12-2005, 09:21 PM   #4
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Iffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiojon
Looking to possibly make a 2720SL purchase (first-ever camper!), but curious as to:

1) I've got a 2005 Acura MDX -- looks as though it would pull the 2720SL if I get the towing package installed, no? Owner's manual says 3500# tow limit ... and the MDX gets 230 ft-lbs of torque at just 2000 rpm (redline is 6300 rpm) with a final gear ratio of 4.38. These are good towing numbers, correct?

2) Are there any differences between the 2005 and 2006 TM models?

Thanks in advance for the help!

- Mark
The MDX is basically a somewhat high power Honda Pilot. The Pilot manuals typically discuss tow limits of 3500 lbs for travel trailers, 4500 lbs for boats (lower profile?). Do a search here on towing with a Honda Pilot..you'll find a substantial amount of discussion but probably no really clear conclusions.

I have a 2720SL..and it's now fairly well equipped (AC, awning, dual batteries) and I often load it for 3+ days of boondock camping (full fresh water/hot water, full refrig, full cabinets). It therefore typically weighs somewhere between 3500 and 3900 lbs.

Your MDX's numbers look fairly good for towing at sea level and on fairly level roads. Not all that great for mountain towing, especially at high altitudes (lke the Colorado Rockies).

Bottom line: Your MDX should be adequate to good for towing a 2720SL on flat to gently rolling roads at near sea level altitudes. At higher altitudes or on mountain grades you may find it somewhat to very challenged.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote