View Single Post
Old 05-31-2017, 08:39 AM   #20
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Cool Notes WRT a 4Runner; and MEASURE your garage.

I have owned and towed my heavily-loaded 2619 with both the V8 and the V6.(Our V8 was rear-ended and totaled at a stop light, by a heavy van traveling at high speed. The van driver had a medical problem and slumped onto the gas pedal as he died.)

For the replacement, I did not and would not buy a V8 version again, because the mileage is almost 25% worse, and the performance is not much better for TM towing in Mountains. On steep grades, you can simply downshift the V6 by one gear, and let the RPMs rev up a little higher. The V6 makes more noise than the V8, but responds beatifully. (BTW, I live in the Sierra Mountain foothills, and exceed 10% going to and from my house.) With the V6, we average about 19 MPG; with the V8, we got around 15 MPG. Towing the TM gets about 17 MPG, but we typically drive a lot of highway miles in towing - along with a few miles of really drastic grades.

For safety and control, they're generally excellent - but be aware that they have some rollover risk if you take corners too fast. Slow down for switchbacks and turns, because the presence of the trailer (which "wants to go straight") increases that risk.

For a family, the back seats are pretty comfortable - which might not be true in other vehicles. But you get only two rows of seats, the rear is strictly storage space.

The only BIG problem with the 4R is the prices: Both new and used, everybody wants them, and you pay a BIG premium to acquire this vehicle.
- - - - -
For garage storage: Measure both your garage depth and the height at the open door, to assure that the top of the air conditioner won't hit the garage door or door frame top joist when backing it in or puling it out. Most garage doors can fit the TM, but some can't - and others need to have the lift motor adjusted to raise the door higher.