View Single Post
Old 01-14-2022, 12:24 PM   #7
Kmikesell
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastrailerguy View Post
Grace, Just my thoughts and experience with D/R "fun". Take you own water,gas and food. Sometimes that stuff is in short, I mean very short supply. If there even is any. When there is no electricity that normally means no water pumps, also hits on sewer systems unless someone uses a cesspool. Yes, there is state and federal aid. However that also takes awhile to get rolling. My state says be self-sustaining for 72hrs. That's a long time after a major disaster- tornado, hurricane, flood, fire, whatever. Sometimes help is across the state, in Texas that could be 500 miles.
It could be weeks or months before all services come back online.
Thank goodness for the people who come out to help in the time of need in the first few hours before "official" help can get there.
Sorry for the long answer.
I couldn't agree more. I have been to several disaster sites providing additional communication needs (HAM radio) and there is limited or no supplies. You don't want to be a burden on an already stretched system.

When I leave for disaster area I make sure I will take the following:
* As much water as I can reasonable carry (Trailers Tanks full, at least 2 cases of water bottles, and 5/6 5 gallon jugs)
* Several methods of purifying water. (Water filters, bleach)
* Clothing for a week.
* Food for two weeks (Simple easy to prepare foods)
* Lots of hard candy (great for lifting the spirits of kids and adults alike)
* All the power I can muster (Solar, generator)
* All the propane and fuel as I can reasonably carry (Two extra propane tanks and about 15 gallons of gas).
* A means for protecting and securing all of the above. (YMMV)

My plan is to be an island unto myself, providing as much service as possible without taxing any of the limited local resources. Realising that help is always about 5 days away.
DH/DW 2018 Ford F-150
North Utah
Kmikesell is offline   Reply With Quote