Thread: Weird tire wear
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2010, 06:41 AM   #16
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Brulaz -

Have you been whipping your TM around a dirt race track on the weekends?? Bad boy! No wonder you have strange tire wear.
-------------------------

Wayne -

I don't mean to be argumentative, but if slanted roadways lead to wear on the right tire, then we would all suffer from this. And I just don't recall a flood of reports - or any, for that matter.

In addition, if slanted roadways cause right side wear, then cars would suffer from it as well. Although they have twice as many tires, they travel 10 times as many miles for most of us. And again, I just don't recall any reports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
If you have ever watched race cars racing on a flat, oval track, you will notice that the outer tire is the one throwing up all the dirt. One could use the same logic.....Why doesn't the inner tire throw up as much dirt? The outer tire is the one that takes the brunt of the force of gravity and centrifugal force. The inner tire is just along for the ride.
The oval track story is fun, but not particularly relevant. Race cars on an oval track do indeed wear the outside (right) tires very quickly. But the reason they do is that the cars run around the oval counterclockwise, at high speeds, in a near-constant left turn. The centrifugal force of the near-constant turn makes the car tend to roll to the right. As the weight comes off the inside tires, the stresses are all borne by the outside tires. (And if the driver pushes it too far, the car actually will roll over.)

By contrast, a TM on a straight road does not experience centrifugal force, so there is no tendency to roll in either direction. And on a highway, the turns are very gentle compared to those experienced by a race car on a track. And the turns that it does make are evenly distributed left vs right, so any wear would be balanced between the sides.

Quote:
The principal is similar on a single axle trailer. The downhill wheel (in this case) is the one that absorbs most (not all) of those forces.
Again, it is the roll that wears the outside tires, not the fact that the outside tires are the downhill tires. In fact, on most tracks, the right wheels are the uphill wheels, not downhill - but they still wear excessively.

Quote:
I think that you will also find that highways that are built across the plains and deserts are sloped more drastically than the highways around the cities.
Again, my experience says that this is not true, and the Highway Design Manuals suggest that it is not. Do you have a source for the statement?

In the end, the only reason we care is that the Original Poster (OP) is experiencing a problem, and he needs help identifying the cause. I don't think we can just blow it off as the inevitable effect of slanted pavement.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote