Thread: Weird tire wear
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2010, 03:29 PM   #11
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
OK. I'll keep a look out for cat scales where I can just measure one wheel at a time.

I went back and checked the tread wear difference; it's only 1 mm diff in the centre. And measured more accurately the distance difference from axle to frame: 1.5cm. These #'s don't seem too bad after all.

Also checked the axle's relationship to the frame and it seems pretty true, as best I could tell +- 1 cm.

Wayne's remarks sound about right. At least I hope the wear is "normal" after about 15,000 km. I also noticed that a lot poorly maintained highways have some pretty deep ruts on the right side of the right lane which would help explain the edge wear.

So I'll rotate, and probably up the pressure to 65psi on both. That will mean a lot more banging in trailer, but hopefully might extend the tire life.

These Marathons are doing pretty well otherwise.
Weighing side-to-side may give you some good info for load balancing but will not explain the wear that you have. Even if one side were 200# heavier than the other, the wear should still be even across the tread of each tire (if towed on a level surface). However, one tire may be slightly more worn than the other, over a lot of miles.

If you were towing on level surfaces (which no one does) and had that type of wear pattern over the short haul, I would be looking at a "toe-in" condition on the side of the wear. Even then, the other side would show some evidence of outside wear on a single axle trailer because the other side would compensate to off-set the drag or the trailer would go down the highway noticeably crooked and sway may be an issue.

If you had "Cupping", that would tell you that it is an axle or balance issue. However, you stated that the wear is even. That's a "Drag" and/or under-inflation issue.