View Single Post
Old 09-15-2021, 10:21 AM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMD View Post
I presume that the rules for RV plumbing would follow the same rationale for buildings.... It is my understanding that homes can have wall vents for sewer lines, but that code in most jurisdictions requires the wall vents to be above the highest window.
You are partially right. For reasons that are unknown to me, most building codes, including residential building codes, a lot of industrial building codes, and RV codes, are written and maintained by the NFPA (National Fire Protection Association). Minor mods such as the words "recreation vehicles" are inserted into the text to make it application-specific.

I checked out the NFPA, found the RVIA code (called Standard 1192), took a look at the Plumbing section (Chapter 7) and specifically the paragraphs on Venting (sub-chapter 7.6). Much of it is basically identical to the Residential Building codes. As you surmised, sidewall venting is allowed in certain cases (which the TM meets), but with the attached requirement that the vent be "as high as practicable and not less than 6 feet from the ground level." No mention of window height. For TM, the 6-foot requirement would be a problem, since the top of the base shell of the trailer is not that high.

Quote:
As such, I presume the concern for TM is that a wall vent would be below the windows with the possibility of gases working their way back into an open window.
No rationale for the requirement is given - presumably because if a rationale were given, it could form the basis for an exception request. And the NFPA is a huge, ponderous organization that doesn't want to be bothered with a slew of special requests.

Your idea for an owner-installed vent pipe will almost certainly not fly. I forwarded Shane's thought about "toilet ready construction" to Paul Wipf at the factory, he contacted RVIA, and was immediately turned down. Although Paul didn't forward the specific words of the refusal, it was clear that the trailer must be originally built with a vented system. You can't rely on installation of a vent as part of the setup procedure.

I pointed out one thing to Paul. Hi-Lo trailers have a conventional toilet and a black tank. Presumably Hi-Los have RVIA certification (although they are presently not building trailers due to Covid). I don't think a Hi-Lo base wall is 6 feet high. I suggested Paul get together with his counterpart at Hi-Lo and discuss it. I don't know how Paul will proceed.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote