View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 03:36 PM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjbourge View Post
Hi Bill ... you mention something about a plug in transmission temperature gauge. Where do you get one of these and does it just plug into the power port inside the truck?
HJBourge -

There are two gauges out there that see a lot of use. Both of them are able to read out your choice of parameters from a long list, most of which you have never heard of and don't care about. In addition, there may be others that I'm not aware of. They are simple to hook up and use. Both of them plug into the OBD-II port that is under the dash near the steering wheel. No separate power connection is needed, no connection to the transmission or hydraulics, and you never need to remove them from the vehicle.

The most popular is the ScanGauge. It will read out 4 parameters at once, which is a good number. In my opinion (and it is only that), it is ugly. But it is cheaper than the second item, the AeroForce Interceptor. The Interceptor costs more, and is prettier, but reads out only two parameters at a time.

Before you order one, you need to be sure (ask the maker!) that it will read out the transmission temperature of your particular vehicle. It seems to me there was a problem for a while with certain Toyotas. Were there others?

Do a Search of this board on ScanGauge (Scan Gauge) or Aeroforce to find a fair amount of detail and discussion.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote