View Single Post
Old 07-08-2003, 02:46 PM   #7
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Default Re: Replaced Carpet w/Tile - a Saga

Quote:
Denny -

My only question: Where the original (kitchen) linoleum met the original (living room) carpet, there was a divider/trim strip. Makes sense. But I would have thought that if both the linoleum and the carpet were removed, and replaced with new stuff (tile, whatever), then the entire area could be re-covered without a divider/trim strip. But your description shows a new trim strip. Is this because you did it in two parts?

1. If I removed ALL carpet and ALL linoleum at the same time, and replaced them both, is there anything about the substrate that would require a trim strip?
2. What did it take to remove the (presumably) glued-down linoleum?

3. And to follow up on Chris Bauer's post, could you estimate the MAX thickness that could be accommodated?

Thanks again

Bill
Q #1. Bingo. I did each part 2 months apart ('tween finish/start). Had the Trailer out a few times before resuming.I could have still avoided the strip, but since I used self stick tiles, decided to keep the strip as an anchor to prevent shifting/drift. The screws go between the tiles, so if I were to revise later, and remove the strip, the kitchen tiles would have to be moved 1/16" toward the couch --- chain reaction.

Q #2. No problem laying it all at once.

Q #3. It was quite easy, actually, once the 6 x 10^6 staples were removed. There were two layers of linoleum (same pattern). The sub layer extended about 3-5 inches under the carpet, and each layer had been stapled individually. Tedious removal. Once the moulding was off and the linoleum was free of the staples (perifery), I just peeled it off in one long staedy pull from the cabinets to the doorway. Then used a strong, concentrated, all-purpose household degreaser to clean the surface. Expected to have to use a petroleum based product (such as mineral spirits).

Q #4. Two courses of my 3mm tile was just about right. So 6mm (1/4") should be enough - or lower the rubber sweep-seal. Any thickness will work for the slideout. The seal gap is the "twist in the knicker"!

Cheers - Denny_A
Denny_A is offline   Reply With Quote